Saturday, August 31, 2013

$2 Pretty In Pink Dress

Here is another $2 dress that I bought at the same church thrift store as my red dress.  The things I loved about this little pink number were the cute little polka dots, the beautiful pleated skirt, and the light and airy fabric.  The things that I could live without are the shoulder pads, the belt, and that 'weird sleeve thing'.  Because of these flaws, I proceeded with the mutilation (errrr, I mean, mutation) of this dress...

Let's just skip to the end of the story and see the side-by-side 'before' and 'after' picture.  Wow!

When I started ripping this dress apart, I wasn't planning on making it a spaghetti-strap dress.  I slowly removed a piece at a time, until I liked it.

Step 1:  Remove the shoulder pads.  I wasn't planning on playing tackle football in my 'new' dress.

Step 2: Rip the seams and remove the sleeves.

Step 3: I took off about 4 inches from the hem.  I used the scraps to make the straps for my dress. Scrap straps!

Step 4:  After making all my cuts, I tried on my dress again.  The neckline just wasn't flattering.  So, I chopped it off.
The front of the dress was a button up.  So, I removed all the buttons and sewed up the front.
I sewed the straps to the dress and also took in the sides.
 

Here are photos of my new and improved 'Pretty In Pink' dress!  (The white leather Nordstrom belt is from Goodwill.  I think it was $3.)

No comments:

Post a Comment