Monday, September 2, 2013

Double-sided Headband Organizer

I rarely buy headbands for the girls.  However, they still end up with tons and tons of headbands and hair accessories from Christmas, Birthdays, or whatever.  A simple basket used to be enough to contain the madness.  However, the headbands have multiplied and I now have a headband outbreak on my hands.  This is serious stuff.


This is the out-of-control basket of hair accessories.  I think I could open up my own Claire's at the mall with all of these accessories.  Geez...

I rummaged through my fabric stash and found a colorful, girly fabric and some matching ribbon.  This will surely do the trick!

Step 1:  Cut two pieces of fabric the size of a long rectangle.  With the right sides together, sew up both long sides.

Step 2: Cut a piece of ribbon twice the size of your rectangle.  This will be used to hang the headbands.
Step 3: Cut a small piece of ribbon.  This will be used to hang your headband-hanger.

Step 4: Layer the ribbons on top of each other.  Tuck the ribbon inside the short end of the rectangle and pin it into place.  Then stitch the raw edge making sure the catch the ribbon.

 Step 5:  Turn the fabric inside out.  Start pinning the ribbon so that it runs down the middle.  Do this on both sides.

Step 6:  Using a reinforced straight stitch, sew every 1.5 to 2 inches. 

Step 7:  When you get to the end, fold the raw edge inside and topstitch.

Ta da!  In about 30 minutes, you have yourself a double-sided headband organizer!

 Let's see how long it takes for the girls to break/ruin my masterpiece. 



This is the first time I have made one of these.  Some things I would have done differently:
1. Provided more slack in the ribbon.  This would accomodate wider headbands to be stored without bunching up of the fabric.
2. Sew the ribbon to each side separately before assembling it all together.  It was a little difficult to align the bottom ribbon and make sure I sewed through it.


No comments:

Post a Comment