Friday, September 20, 2013

Salsa Recipe

Today's blog is non-craft related, but still a good read!

Anytime there is a gathering, dear hubby always asks that I put together some salsa and/or guacamole.  They are both very easy to whip up and always a hit.  I've been asked on a few occasions for the recipe, so I thought a salsa recipe post would be apropos.  This is a recipe given to me by my mother-in-law.

The recipe yields a large party-size batch of salsa.  I would suggest cutting the recipe in half, unless you've invited the entire neighborhood over.

Ingredients:
- 1 onion
- 5 to 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 jalapeno
- Stewed tomatoes (four 14.5 oz cans)

You will also need your handy dandy food processor to finely dice the ingredients.  (I've tried hand dicing this recipe before and, trust me, it doesn't come out as good.)  So, unless, you went to a Culinary Art School and got an A+ in Slicing & Dicing 101, please whip out Mr. Food Processor.

Step 1: Peel and lightly chop up the onion.  Throw this in the food processor.

Step 2: Peel and lightly mash the garlic.  Throw this in the food processor.
It's up to you how much garlic you want to use.  If you have vampire-like tendencies, then use less.  I, for one, do not hail from the town of Transylvania, therefore, I like lots of garlic.

Step 3: Wash the cilantro to remove any dirt or grit.  Then wring the water out of the cilantro.  Remove the leaves from the cilantro and throw it into the food processor.  Discard any of the tough stems.

Step 4: Wash the jalapeno.  Remove the seeds.  Cut them up and throw it into the food processor.

Step 5: You should now have the onion, garlic, cilantro and jalapeno loaded into the food processor.  Turn that bad boy on and let the magic begin.. Everything should be very finely diced.



Step 6: Transfer the mix from the food processor into a large bowl or Tupperware container.  (I used a 14-cup Tupperware container so that I could store it in the refrigerator.)

Step 7: It is very important to use STEWED tomatoes.   (I used diced tomatoes one time and it didn't come out as good.)  These have jalapeno, garlic, and cumin in them.  Open up all four cans.


Step 8: The stewed tomatoes will have some liquid in them.  Drain the liquids into the tupperware.  Then dump the stewed tomatoes into the food processor.

Step 9: Finely puree the stewed tomatoes.

Step 10: Dump the pureed stewed tomatoes into the tupperware.  Mix everything together.
You can either serve immediately, or stick it in the refrigerator to let all the flavors marinate.

Step 11: Don't forget to clean up! Recycle those tomato cans.  And throw the vegetable scraps into your compost.  Those worms will thank you for it!


Fun fact:  The kids love eating macaroni and cheese (and so do I).  When I make it for them, there is always a little bit left over for me.  I throw a couple of spoonfuls of salsa into the macaroni and cheese.  It's delicious.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment