Thursday, September 12, 2013

Machine Embroidery 101 (Go Bulls!)

Per my husband, I've got to 'perfect' my embroidery skills before I can start embroidering on new items.  For now, I'm scrounging around the house looking for my next victim to go under the needle!

Today's victim is a yellow gingham kitchen/dish rag.  It's been sitting at the bottom of my linen closet waiting for it's moment to shine.  And now is the time...

This is my second embroidery project.  I wanted to do something for my Alma Mater.  Go Bulls!  I wanted to do something a little different, something that you couldn't buy at the stores.  Way, way, waaaaay back when I went to USF, people used to refer to it as the 'University of Suntans and Flipflops'.  I always thought that was so cute because when you're roaming around on campus, that is pretty much what you see - suntans and flipflops!


Step 1: Research, research, research...I am very new to machine embroidery, so I spent a few hours reading other blogs and watching a few YouTube videos to help me get started.

Step 2: Create my USF embroidery logo - There are lots of sites where you can buy embroidery files.  Why 'buy', when you can 'create'?!  I downloaded a 30-day trial version of the SewArt application.  This app converts images into embroidery files for you.  With the help of this YouTube video, it was seeeeeew easy to use!

A quick Google search led me to tons of USF logos.  I just downloaded one and ran it through the SewArt application.  It spit out a .DST embroidery file that my sewing machine can understand.

Step 3: Transfer the embroidery logo from your computer to your sewing machine - Via USB, I connected my sewing machine to my laptop.  I transferred my beautiful USF logo to my sewing machine.

Step 4: Create an awesome design - I'm still a newbie, so it took me a while to put the design together.  But, it was a good learning experience with using different fonts, resizing, scaling, etc.
I used an existing font that was already built into the machine.  But you can easily download fonts and convert them to embroidery fonts, too.


Step 5: Push the START button and watch the magic - After I was happy with my design, I carefully, laid my fabric and stabilizer through the embroidery hoop.  I made sure the fabric was centered and the stabilizer was taut.  I pressed the START button and let the machine go to work.



Step 6: After it's done embroidering, it's time to clean up the little stragglers. On both sides, I cut as much of the excess thread as possible.


Step 7: Gently, tear away the stability on the back.

TA-DA! Shine, little gingham rag, shine.

Lessons learned:
I had a little trouble with the thread.  My machine came with some free embroidery thread.  But it was hot mess when I opened it.  I used it anyways, but the thread kept getting stuck.  If you look closely, the letter 'l' is a little messed up.  The moral of the story is - don't used messed up thread :)

No comments:

Post a Comment