Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Japanese Knot Purse

While I was surfing the internet the other day, I came across a cute little purse!  It was a Japanese Knot Purse.  It was different and looked easy to make.  So I did!

I rummaged through my scrap fabric and found a nice gray that would do the trick.

Step 1: Cut four 9" x 16" rectangles.  Two pieces will be for the outside of the purse.  The other two pieces will be for the purse lining.  The purse will be about 8" x 15".  This will give us a 1" seam allowance.

Step 2:  To round out the bottom corners of the purse, I place a circular object (in this case, a spool of ribbon) in the corner and traced it with a fabric marker.  Then cut!


Step 3:   Sew all four layers together.  Sew only 3/4 of the way around.  Leaving the top.  Then turn the purse right-sides out.

I wanted to add an applique to the purse.  So, I found some more scrap fabric.  Then ironed on some heat transfer material to the back of it.

I downloaded an image off the internet and cut it out using my Silhouette.

I embroidered the purse with a name and then ironed on the applique.  I finished the applique with an embroidery stitch.  (In restrospect, it would have been easier to embroider the name BEFORE sewing on the pieces together.)

Using more scrap fabric, I sewing two purse straps.  One short one and one long one.  To wear the purse, just loop the long strap through the short strap.


This is a simple purse that didn't take long to make.  And it gave me some practice on my embroidery and applique skills!




No comments:

Post a Comment