Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Little Mermaids

This is a sewing project that I did a few months ago.  I can't remember what made me want to do it, but I'm 'sew' glad I did!

I went to JoAnn Fabrics and picked out two fabrics.  The blue fabric was made of swimsuit material so they could actually wear this in the water!  The purple fabric was for their little flutter tail.




I came home and the fabric sat...and sat on my sewing table...
Then one fine Saturday, while the girls were napping, I whipped these together!

Luckily, swimsuit material is stretchy.  So, there was plenty of room for error.  I just took a pair of their stretch pants and used it as a template.

I sewed the sides together.  Then gathered the tail fabric at the bottom.  I added a halter strap so it could be adjustable.

Below are pictures of the finished products!  It's little restrictive to walk in them.  However, I tell them, 'Like Ariel, if you're on land, you use your walking feet!  So, you have to hike up your fin!'  This works on perfectly, because they hike up the mermaid fin, it converts into a dress!

They've worn these to 'Mermaid' and 'Princess' day at school on a few occasions now.  And they love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment