Monday, August 26, 2013

Monogrammed Pillows

I bought a couple of rocking chairs on Craigslist a couple of years ago.  Since then, we've repainted the exterior of the house.  So, my brown rocking chairs and pillows no longer match the house.  This is a craft emergency...

Here is a BEFORE picture of the rocking chair.  To the right, you can kind of see the four pillows. 


Step 1: Stain the rocking chairs with a nice black stain.
Step 2: Sew new seat covers to wrap over the old seat cushions.
Step 3: Sew new pillow covers to wrap over the old back pillows.

Somewhere between Step 1 and 2, a light bulb went off.  After sewing the seat covers, I had enough leftover material to do something great...something awesome.  I wanted to use the leftover material to add a monogram to the pillows.

Step 3a:  Iron fusible interfacing to the back of the leftover seat cushion material.
Step 3b:  Cut out the monogram letter. I cut out an Old English 'A' using my Silhouette.
Step 3c:  Sew the letter to the pillow fabric using a zig zag stitch.  Make sure the letter is in the middle of the pillow.

Step 3d.  Continue sewing the pillow covers.

It turned out better than I imagined!


2 comments: