Sunday, October 27, 2013

Stairway to Awesomeness - Stair Makeover

It was time to give the stairs a facelift!  The oak finish was old, boring, and blah. 

I went with Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Kona.  It's a very dark brown.

First step was to sand, sand, then sand some more.  I used coarse sandpaper to remove the existing finish.  There was a lot of sand to vacuum up!

Then I applied two coats of stain because I wanted it super dark.
Goodbye, Oak.  Hello, Kona!
This is with two coats on stain.

This is with one coat of stain.
This is before the polyurethane.  It's way to shiny for me.




After applying two coats of stain, I lightly sanded with steel wool.  Then applied 3 coats of Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane in Satin.  I lightly sanded with steel wool in between coats to keep everything nice and smooth.  The satin finish gave it a nice muted finish.

After applying three coats of polyurethane.

Aerial view from the second floor.



Next step is to repaint the walls and then repaint the trim!

No comments:

Post a Comment